Resources & Links

Latest Special Needs Jungle Blogs on left menu bar>>

This page will be added to over time. If you have a resource or website that you think we should know about, please send the link to

  1. Information & Research resources
  2. Support & Resources for when applying for Statutory Assessment
  3. Charities that can help
  4. SEN Education Resources
  5. Therapists

Information, Legal  & Research resources

Support & Resources for when applying for Statutory Assessment

  • Network 81 is a national network of parents working towards properly resourced inclusive education for children with special educational needs.
  • IPSEA – Independent advice and help through the statementing and appeals process.
  • Contact A Family SEN service – National Service for SEN advice
  • SOS!SEN – Statementing and SEN support
  • SENAC – Independent advice and advocacy for SEN in Northern Ireland
  • SENDIST – Special Educational Needs & Disability Tribunal – Where you appeal to when things don’t go your way.
  • ACE – Advisory Centre for Education.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau on SEN
  • National Parent Partnership Network – Parent Partnership Services offer information, advice and support for parents of children and young people with special educational needs (SEN). Your child’s school or your Local Authority will have details of your local service. You can also go to the NPPN website or call on 020 7843 6058.

Charities & Support Groups that can help

SEN Resources

  • SEN Teacher provides cost-free teaching & learning resources for students with special needs and learning disabilities.
  • NetBuddy: Lots of top tips for families with a child with learning disabilities
  • SEN/ICT Directory Lots of SEN & ICT resources


  • Wordswell – Speech and Language Therapists, Cambridge
  • Want to add your link here? Free for charities & support groups.
Leave a comment


  1. K. S

     /  January 28, 2010

    Have you heard of the friendly group? It is a social skills group, held in Guildford on a Saturday and run by an Ed Psych. I can get the details for you.

    Also, The Little Group, in Epsom? This is a pre-school for ASD. The LEA funds places there.

    G.A.S.P is another great support.

    I have a big file of stuff if you’d like me to pass on some contacts?

    • Alicia

       /  May 27, 2013

      Do you have more information on this Friendly Group as I’d love for my ASD son to go there.

  2. chris m

     /  January 7, 2011

    Can anyone help me with a recommendation for a good Ed Psych? Son (13) recently diagnosed on autism spectrum (pervasive developmental disorder ‘other’, whatever that means) plus other learning problems – ADHD, discalculae. Senco at his school is rubbish and there’s no help for him unless I can get a statement. I need an Ed psych report to outline what he should get – can anyone help? I live in SE London. Thanks, in anticipation.

  3. We used an excellent educational psych Ruth Birnbaum based in Golders Green.

    Good luck

  4. Giselle

     /  August 26, 2013

    I have just received my sons final statement and they have ignored my preference for a named state special school and instead just said nearest mainstream school and not even named one. I thought they had to agree with my choice? They haven’t even given me reasons why! Please help. . . .

    • If you want a maintained school named, the LA must name it as long as it is

      suitable for your child’s age, ability, aptitude and any special educational needs they may have – can this school meet your child’s needs?
      not incompatible with:-
      the efficient use of resources i.e. too expensive or

      the efficient education of other children – educating your child at the school would be very disruptive. The school should look at ways of overcoming these barriers.

      You do not have to show that this school is the best school for your child, merely that it is ‘good enough’.

      You also have a general right to mainstream education so that if the mainstream school you want is not suitable the LA must look at other mainstream schools in the area.

    • This is taken from SEN Code of Practice which the LA must have regard to.

      Naming a school
      Parents may express a preference for the maintained school ( but not a PRU or hospital special school) they wish their child to attend, or make representations for a placement in any other school. LEAs must comply with a parental preference unless the school is unsuitable to the child’s age, ability, aptitude or special educational needs, or the placement would be incompatible with the efficient education of the other children with whom the child would be educated, or with the efficient use of resources. LEAs must consider parental representations and arrange any meeting(s) with LEA advisers or officers the parents seek, before issuing the final statement.
      See Schedule 27, Education Act 1996
      Unless a parent indicates that they do not want their child educated in a mainstream school (whether by expressing a preference or making a representation for a particular school or otherwise) an LEA must ensure that a child is educated in a mainstream school unless that is incompatible with the efficient education of other children.
      See Section 316, Education Act 1996

      8:58 An LEA that believes that the education of a particular child in the mainstream would be incompatible with the efficient education of others must consider whether there are any reasonable steps they could take to prevent the child’s inclusion from having that effect. In relation to a particular maintained school they must consider the reasonable steps that they or the governing body could take.

      • Giselle

         /  August 27, 2013

        Thanks for replying Debs, it was a maintained special school, for high functioning ASD (which he is) vulnerable (one of his needs named on statement) failure to thrive in mainstream (reason applied for statement) within walking distance from our house, and for boys, so perfic for him!

        School he’s at now and health and CAMHS all agree and have formally supported the fact that he should be in a special school. My son has said all along that he wants to be in a special school. But LA have still done it!? Thought they had to agree it? Or prove why not? Think school has a place but even if it didn’t thought they have powers to make a place, or have to offer something similar (another special school) I even gave them a second choice. But now they’ve issued the final Statement and not even named a school just said nearest maintained mainstream! What can I do now? Should I talk to them anymore? Or just appeal to tribunal?

        They have apparently sent his papers for advice to a local maintained mainstream boarding school without consent from me, which is completely unsuitable for so many reasons. Can they do this? Do we have any rights at all? My son is completely devastated by this and it’s been such a struggle to get him to attend anyways, so I’m dreading next week! And where’s he going anyway? I am so upset and angry. . .

        Sorry needed to let it all out. . .

Please leave a comment - your views are important!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: